Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Quince.... :)

I bought this beautiful fruit last week at the farmer's market.
I had no idea what it was.
Quince. They're kinda like an apple, but not edible raw.
I couldn't find very many recipes for quince, but I
needed to cook 'em.
 
 
I found this super easy recipe from Ina for apple tart.
It uses puff pastry which is super fabulous when you want to make
a dessert in no time:)
 
Here we go:
1-sheet of thawed puff pastry
2- peeled and cored quince
2- peeled and cored apples (I used granny smith)
Sugar
Cinnamon
Butter
Apricot Jam
Rum
 
Roll out your thawed pastry into a square.
I rolled up my edges to make it more "rustic".
Just kidding, my square was all wonky so I had to improvise:)
Slice your peeled and cored quince and apples.
 
 
Alternate laying your slices of quince and apples. Ya know, for pretty factor:)
Ina's recipe calls for just "sprinkling" sugar on top.
Um no ma'am!! I pulled out my grinder of sugar and cinnamon!!
I'll just say I wasn't shy about coating my quince and apples
with this deliciousness!!
 
 
Dot with butter. A whole lot of butter. Because everyone knows
more butter is better:)
 
 
Stick that rustic square of loveliness in a 400' oven for about 25 minutes.
 
 
While your tart is cooling, make your glaze.
I did like 1/2 cup apricot jam and a couple Tbsp. of rum.
Just heat it through:)
 

Then brush that liquid gold onto your tart.
 

Ooooh look at that beauty!!
 

 
Cut yourself a piece and get to tastin...
 
 
I dare you to eat just one piece.
 
 
No really, I double dog dare you!!
 

8 comments:

  1. That looks delish! I have never even heard of quince. Gotta check that out next time I'm at the farmer's market :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, yum. I will be trying this out! Thanks for sharing (and a cinnamon sugar grinder - genius!) Cheers - CT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious! I'll be heading to TJ's for that grinder. LOVED your baked peaches recipe...it's a new family favorite at our house! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I planted quince three houses ago because I love the shape of the unruly unpruned branches. Unfortunately we weren't there long enough to harvest large fruits. Your tart looks delicious, but the double dog is even cuter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That one is an easy one. My daughter made that when she was in middle school and it is impressive looking and easy to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM that sure does look delish!!!! If extra butter makes it better........................anything with dark rum on it, is better yet!!!!!! Makes me thirsty for a cuba libra..........but it's not 5 o'clock yet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious! My grandma had a quince tree and she made yummy jelly with them. Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have a quince fruit tree in my parents backyward...tons and TONS of fruit this year. Your recipe looks perfect! Will give it a try and report back.

    ReplyDelete