Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Crrrrazy Cucumbers!!

It's stinkin hot here in the ole AZ, and the thought of doing any cooking outside of grilling or boiling water makes me sweat:( This time of year is when I only want to eat something light, cold, and refreshing:) Weeell, my hubby's garden has been growing like crazy!! My fridge was being taken over by cucumbers!! What to do with sooo many?? Make cucumber salad of course!! Every time the hubby and I go to Kabuki for sushi, I get their cucumber salad. It's fab:) and COLD, Sooo I thought I'd try making it at home.
All it took was:
Cucumbers- peeled, seeded, and julienned
1 oz. Tobiko ( those yummy flying fish eggs)

And for the dressing: This is where I'm the worst! I don't measure anything, just do it to taste. I guess like making a vinaigrette? I used mostly Ponzu, a splash of both sesame oil and rice vinegar, a spoonful of white sugar, pepper and I sprinkled the sesame seeds.


Poured it over the cucumbers,

Then topped it with the Tobiko:) **I got my Tobiko at AJ's at the sushi bar:) and yes, a little pricey, but sooo delish!!

Yummy yummy yummy!!

Then I moved on to dinner. Where I was hoping to use the other 7000 lbs. of cucumbers:) Enter- Trader Joe's rice sticks. You can get them in the pasta section, and this yummy recipe is on the back:)

2 c. Romaine lettuce, shredded
1 1/2 c. cucumber, peeled, seeded and julienned

1/2 c. mint leaves, roughly chopped

1/2 c. basil leaves, roughly chopped

2 c. cooked meat ( I used shrimp)

** I added bean sprouts too:)

Oh and look at this sweet little baby that was living in my mint! Now that's organic!! :)

Put all your chopped ingredients and cooked meat in a bowl, and pour hot noodles on top. The heat from the noodles wilts the greens perfectly:)

I took some soy sauce, sesame oil, red chili pepper flakes and honey (again, no measuring-all to taste) and poured the mixture over the top and tossed it all together:)

And can I just say, do NOT omit the mint or the basil! The combination of the two gives the best flavor:)

And there you have it. A yummy, refreshing and speedy dinner:) and most importantly? All done with one pot of boiling water:)

2 comments:

  1. That all looks delicious! I need to make it this summer! And that lady bug was adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing!! This looks so good and I need some new things to make in the next couple of days. Hugs!
    xo
    Ashlyn

    ReplyDelete