Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Chicken soup and a chicken coop!... :)

I've been wanting to try this recipe for beer bread from Yvonne over at Stonegable. So last week I decided to give it a try. And let me tell you, it does not disappoint!! Yvonne is not kidding when she talks about how good it smells while it's baking!

While the bread was in the oven I made a simple chicken soup. I shredded the leftover grilled chicken (I know, the pic makes it look soooo appetizing!) from the night before.
I started with a mirepoix (sounds so fancy right?).

Then added some chicken broth.


And if you haven't discovered this bomb chicken base- you must! My sis told me about it and it's fab! I picked mine up at Sprouts. I also keep the beef base on hand as well, makes EVERYTHING taste delish I tell ya! I just added a spoonful :)

Stirred in some frozen peas and the shredded chicken, a little cream and a thickener of water and brown rice flour and DONE!

Just in time for my bread to come out of the oven :)

Yummy, yummy, yummy! Chicken soup and warm bread- perfect, easy, winter meal :)

Speaking of chicken- let me introduce you to the one and only.... Lonely Girl. Or Girl for short. She's our last remaining chicken of the 3. One died of heat stroke (imagine that). And the other (we fear) was consumed by our next door neighbors dog. Poor Lonely. She's survived so much trauma in her short little life :(

Lonely no longer thinks she's a chicken. I think she thinks she's more like our dog. She comes to her name, and follows my husband EVERYWHERE. We (Wallace and I) have to constantly shoo her out of the house when the door is open.
This last Saturday the hubby decided to build her a house worthy of his love for her :)


And I swear she knew it! She was right there checking it out the entire time!

And here it is. Cuuuute right??!! Made out of.....the old fence of course!

With window boxes, and REAL flowers! (for now till they die a slow painful death when I forget to water them)

Girl didn't hesitate one bit going in and checking out her new digs :)



Of course Wallace loved it too :)

If you'd like to check out this sweet coop in person- you can! My house is going to be on the Mesa Historic Home Tour this Saturday from 10-4. You can find more info here. If you can't make it, you can check out some pics in the Cool House section of the Arizona Republic newspaper on Saturday :)

18 comments:

  1. I wish I could hop on a plane and join the tour;)! How fun! I have been dying to try this recipe too...it is definitely dinner one night this week!

    I have been nagging my hubby for a chicken coop ever since I saw Heather Bullard's! He had chickens the whole time he was growing up and says the mess they make will do me in! What do you think...is it horrible or do you think it's worth it? Tell your husband he did a wonderful job on Girl's new home;)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dorie,
    The recipe looks amazing, and I can't wait to try it. I love the story and photos on your chicken...what a new home!! The chicken looks pretty satisfied.
    Wish I could join the tour!!
    xo
    Ashlyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dorie, you brought over chicken soup after my dad passed and it was the BEST thing in the world. I was so sad when it was all gone. It was creamy too, and had little delicious dumplings in it. If I can remember your chicken soup from over ten years ago, it must be one of the best! And, um, can I be your chicken please? I've always wanted window boxes... lol. ~Rachael Happ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dorie! I'm so excited to read about the house tour! I hope that I can make it, I'm planning a trip to the valley to tour another farm (where we'll have the barn sale) and I think I can actually do both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a follower of Junk Restore and Tara posted about you today. I had to come over for a visit!

    I almost cried about your chicken coop!!! (Seriously, it must be a pet thing, because I almost cried over at least 3 dog posts yesterday...what's wrong with me! LOL That is NOT normal!)

    Seriosly though, that is SOOO sweet and who knew a chicken could look happy...but she does! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is it sad that I'm only going on the house tour to see your house? My sister (Tara) and I lusted after your house when we first saw it. For the record, I called dibs if you ever wanted to sell.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cute is that chicken! That is a sentence I thought I'd utter. Congrats on the house tour, I saw that in the paper. I love looking in peoples homes, not in a stalker way though :)I love walking by a house and think I would love to go in there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I heart your house! What a beauty and so much character! I love how you have re-used your old fencing for EVERYTHING!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it and I mean the soup too. :) I have to try it all - the bread, the soup and I never knew I needed a chicken coop till now..how cute.
    tammy

    ReplyDelete
  10. dor,

    i.can.not.take.it. -the coop.-ya he just hooked her up!! and of course just whipped that beaute up on a quick little saturday afternoon. whatev. i want her.she would have to bring her digs too.

    wishing i was there to tour. dying to see your place live.

    xxo
    j

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your chicken coop is fit for a princess! I'm so bummed I won't be able to come to the home tour, I'm manning the Moms Club booth at my son's school's open house then I'm taking him to a Cub Scouts outing. Crossing my fingers you'll be on the tour next year?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on your home being part of the Mesa Home Tour! I am loving your chicken coup, and I think it is great your husband made it out of recycled materials.

    ReplyDelete
  13. what funny pictures of your wallace and loving his coop and course you darlin dog wanting in the action...ty for the smile today.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, she needs a friend!! I have four of the Easter Egg hens. She is really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely coop! Ours is not nearly so pretty. I hope you get some companions for Girl soon. We will be buying pullets for our two "girls" next month! We lost one of ours to a dog too. I cried like a baby. She was my favorite chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the coop....do you think your husband would share the plans on how he built it????

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ditto to the above comment, I would love a walk through on how to build a chicken coop out of old fence wood! How cool and totally perfectly adorable!

    ReplyDelete