Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Luscious Lemon Pie.... :)

Ok blog buddies, I'm about to share with you the most yummiest of lemon pies. My mom has made this pie for YEARS:) and everyone in my fam can't ever get enough of it! It's the perfect pie for these sweltering summer days:) I finally realized the other day- hey, I better learn how to make this stinkin thing once and for all! So I called up my mommy and asked her to show me:)
For the crust:
2 pkgs of graham crackers (crushed)
1 Tbsp sugar
1 stick of melted butter
For the filling:
2 small pkgs of lemon pudding
2 eggs
4 1/2 c. water
1/2 lime
Start by crushing your graham crackers. I crushed them in a Ziploc bag, makes for easy clean up:)
Mix your crushed graham crackers, melted butter and Tbsp of sugar together and them press into your pie pan. Reserve about 1/2 cup for the topping. (look at my mom's beautiful hands:) Bake the crust in the oven at 350 for about 10 minutes or until golden:)
While your crust bakes, get started on the pudding:) make it to the package directions. My mom likes to mix the eggs and dry ingredients together in the pan before adding the water and cooking, she says it keeps it from getting lumpy:) ...and it worked!
** my mom bought this pan with S & H green stamps 40 years ago. The brand is Queen, and honestly it's one haaard working lady!! Cute huh?
Now here's where my mom adds her secret:) No worries! I asked her if I could share this with all the world before I wrote this:) anyway, she adds a squeeze of a half of a lime. It adds that little bit of zest:)
Cook your pudding until all the foam (or light yellow) disappears and it gets this beautiful yellow color with that perfect pudding consistency:)
Cool both the crust and the pudding:)
When cool, pour the filling into your fabulous crust:)
Top with the reserved crust, and refrigerate.
Then take it out and try not to devour it before taking any pictures of your finished product:)
Then take a picture and send it to your sisters and tell them that YOU now know how to make THE lemon pie:)

7 comments:

  1. I love mom's lemon pie! And yes her hands are so pretty! Thank goodness for her smallness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're not lemon fans around here, but I will admit yours looks tempting!

    I do something similar with chocolate pudding and bananas. I line the bottom of the graham cracker crust with banana slices and then pour on the chocolate pudding.... serve with whip cream of course ! I'm going to sprinkle the crust crackers on the top next time, because that looks like it would really add to it !

    thanks for sharing !

    gena

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks delicious! im sure yours is just as good as gramma's.... :) who knows? you might see me in your backyard devouring your delish lemon pie!!!! :) love you!
    xoxoxo
    2122

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! If you like key lime pie -try this -buy joe and nellies key lime juice in a yellow plastic bottle in the juice isle (like Safeway). It has the recipe on back of bottle. Only 3 ingredients plus the crust. To make it look 'green' you may add a droplet of coloring, but I never do. It's a HIT with all our company!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello from the uk. I just love your blog it really makes me smile and your latest dish looks really lush! Keep up the great work, I am a huge fan.

    Lady Helen (uk, just outside London) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Pie looks delicious.
    I hope it tasted as good as it looked.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Dorie!! I made this over the weekend for a family gathering and it definitely pleased all of our dessert desires! Plus, it was quite simple to make! Best graham cracker crust, ever!

    ReplyDelete