Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Roast chicken... :)

Look at Ina and her perfect roast chicken. She makes it for her Jeffrey every Friday. In that perfectly crisp white shirt. In that fab kitchen. With the most fab green wallpaper.....
I've been roasting chicken about once a week for a while now:) Not as often in the summer time, because the thought of turning on my oven in triple digit weather will most often send me into the fetal position- on the kitchen floor- begging for mercy. Seriously.
 
Aaaanyway...here's my version:)
 what you'll need for this most amazing chicken-
A whole chicken
1 whole lemon- halved
1 whole head of garlic- halved (skin on)
1 bunch of thyme
2 Tbsp of butter- melted
Salt and Pepper 
Kitchen string (in the cutest acorn container)
 
Preheat you oven to 425 degrees. Rinse and pat dry your baby chicken. (Eww chickens always look like a little fat babies to me!)
 Liberally salt and pepper the inside of the chicken.
 
 Half your lemon and garlic. Leave the skin on the garlic. (please notice that I'm not wearing a perfectly crisp ironed white shirt a- la- Ina. i'm rocking a french bulldog rescue network tee. cause that's how I roll...)
 
 
 I alternate stuffing the lemon, garlic and thyme into the chicken. I imagine it looks a lot prettier and more organized in there..?? I just realized how crazy that sounded after I wrote it. 
 
 
 
 Tie up the legs with string.
 
 
 Brush the (thing that weirdly resembles a baby) chicken with the melted butter. Liberally salt and pepper the outside. Tuck the wings under and stick it in the oven!
 
 
Ina says to cook it for an hour and half. I usually start to check on it after about an hour and fifteen, depending on the size of the chicken. Make sense? And when she's all cooked up she will come out looking all kinds of beautiful:) 
 
 
 I load up my plate with veggies to make up for the fact that I'm chowing down on the brown meat:)
 
 
Oh and that's my little salt and pepper pile on the far left. For dippin:) Yeah I'm thinking the broccoli makes up for that too?? 

10 comments:

  1. Dorie in the summer you can wad up some foil and put your bird in the crock pot. It works and it browns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. did you know that the fab green "wallpaper" is actually just paint! the wallpaper she liked had been discontinued so a friend replicated it in paint - i'm an ina fan too and read it on her website.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dorie,check out this link for rotisserie chicken in a crock pot:

    http://www.laaloosh.com/2012/08/24/crock-pot-rotisserie-chicken-recipe/#.UETyWTz2eZZ.pinterest

    I'm a huge Ina fan and have made her chicken for years! What kind of roasting pan do you use? Yours looks like the perfect size for a chicken...plus it's all shiny and pretty! Take care!

    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stacy!
      The roasting pan I use is All-Clad. I clean my pans with Bar Keeper's friend. Keeps em all shiny:)

      http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/all-clad-stainless-steel-flared-roaster/?pkey=e%7Croasting%2Bpan%7C23%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C4&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules-_-#

      I'm gonna try that crock pot recipe next summer! Thanks!!

      Delete
    2. Dorie,
      Thanks for the tip about Bar Keeper's friend. My pans won't know what hit 'em! I love your blog! What inspired you to start it? Lots of people are sure glad you did :)
      Stacy

      Delete
  4. I love this recipe! I've been wondering what to make for dinner tonight. Thanks for the idea! My family thinks I'm a gourmet chef when I make this roasted chicken! I love it with the onions, fennel and carrots tossed in olive oil placed under the chicken!! Yummmmmy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm making my first roast chicken right now! I have been buying the ones already cooked at the store but love the idea of cooking it myself. Thanks for the inspiration!! Love your blog. :)

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pictures! You have nice hands

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved it! Super easy and moist my first time making a Whole chicken and won't be the last I did use my own spices but followed the cooking instructions, thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your roasted chicken turned out golden brown, yum! Awesome...another pinterest recipe I can post and use for later.

    ReplyDelete