Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Rainy days and Mondays..... :)

 It's been raining for two days here in the ole AZ:)
And I LOVE it!!
It's such a welcome reprieve from the hellish temps we endure for what seems
like an eternity!!
 

I could be cooking in my kitchen all day when it rains:)
It just makes me happy:)
Sunday I made turkey noodle soup and beer bread:)


Last night was roasted chicken and I made green been/quinoa salad:)
 
 
Quinoa salad
2 Cups mixed quinoia (you can use whatever you have- the mix is just pretty)
4 Cups chicken broth
2 Cups cut and blanched green beans
Vinaigrette
 
 
Here we go- start by pulling out your rice cooker that you've had since
ohhh about 1995? Dust it off. No really, mine was totally dusty.
I blame the construction around here.
She's a sweet ole gal who just keeps workin' so I keep keepin' her:)



Pour in that beautiful mixed quinoa and the chicken broth.
And here's where it gets really tricky...
Put the lid on and turn it on. Yep. That's it!
It's my favorite way to make a fool proof batch of quinoa:)


Whilst that RIVAL is doin her thang- get some salty water boiling.
Throw in those green beans and blanch em.


I blanched mine for 5 minutes (I like a little crunch) before shocking them in ice water.
 
Side note: I was at a spa in Tucson and I was in one of the hot tubs when I asked this
lady what that smaller little pool was that I saw ladies just walking in and out of.
It was a pool of freezing water she said. I can't even remember why she said it was beneficial,
but I was like- uh huh, oh yeah? really! hmmm...
 I'll give it a try!
Um yeah, what in the world. It was the worst thing ever.
 I can totally relate to these green beans.
Blanching sucks.
 


Make yourself up a vinaigrette.
I don't know? Whatever you have?
I used olive oil, orange muscat champagne vinegar, orange juice, salt, pepper, a pinch
of sugar and some dried herbs.
Shook it all up.
Done.
photo cred-

Toss the green beans and quinoa in the vinaigrette.
Top with toasted whatever nuts you got.
I had pine nuts:)

 
I roasted me some chicken that I had marinated in pretty much the
same ingredients as my vinaigrette.
Super matchy and super good!

 
Sit around the table with your fam and enjoy your
rainy day schedule:)

16 comments:

  1. That looks delish, and I can totally agree with you on the "spa blanching", um, no.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dorie
    I LOVE those little GREEN birds
    You really do have some beautiful things
    The Kitchen looks FAB
    I love spending the day in my kitchen it makes me HAPPY TOO.
    Kind regards
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. GADZOOKS!! ;) lol.....
    LOOKS LIKE A MIGHTY FINE dinner! Don't you love that
    Muscat orange vinegar from TJ's? (assuming that is where
    you got it)....

    I will be making your recipe! LOVE all of your aprons!
    Infact, there isn't anything in your house that I don't like.
    Just so charming!

    xxo
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the aprons. My daughter and I were in TJMaxx the other day and saw the cutest aprons which had me thinking about doing something like this. My d and I both use them so maybe I'll do it for both of us. And the birds on your shelf are icing on the cake. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dorie, oh my goodness your kitchen is TDF! Love the cabinets, new stove, table, birds, aprons, and everything. Of course I am crazy about the stove hood too! Beautiful!

    I wish I had a Trader Joes here to get some of that special vinegar. Your meal looks delish.

    How are you liking the Windsor Greige? Is it in the kitchen too?

    No "spa blanching" here either. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Debbie! Yes, I'm loving my Windsor Greige:) It will be the predominant color throughout my whole house. It's perfect! My pics don't do it justice:(

      Delete
  6. http://www.amazon.com/Trader-Joes-Gourmet-Champagne-Vinegar/dp/B0069H08A0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378843125&sr=8-1&keywords=muscat+orange+vinegar

    You can get the vinegar right on Amazon with Prime free shipping. Not sure how much it costs at TJs, it's a little pricey here...but I've heard it's delish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amanda (Golden Bay, NZ)September 10, 2013 at 3:43 PM

    Oh Dorie, just love everything I see can't get enough hahaha!!! you are so lucky that your lovely hubby is so in tune with what you like & also very clever it helps so much!!! Your kitchen is divine along with all the added extra's. And isn't it just wonderful sitting around the table having a meal with family, can't beat it! Just love following your page, can't wait for Tuesday's although I have to wait till Wednesday here as I live in New Zealand. Keep them coming! Lots Of Love Amanda, Golden Bay NZ.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dorie...I was heartbroken when you sold your former home. I was in love with your former kitchen. I couldn't imagine why you would want to leave it......now I get it...more pics of the new kitchen please....I think I could stay in there all day, every day....rain, snow, sun, ice.......

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your kitchen is soooooo beautiful!!! I can see why you don't mind spending all your rainy days cooking away in such a beautiful space. Dinner looks absolutely delicious too!
    ~Des

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had to pin that adorable photo with the aprons! The soup looks delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wondering what the full recipe is on the chalkboard in the background!?
    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Where did you get the shelf for the aprons? Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing this recipe. It's totally crave-worthy and can easily be made in advance for a tasty holiday side dish that’s sure to impress!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing your recipe. Found your site on Pinterest♡

    ReplyDelete